Sunday, December 2, 2007

Knitters at Christmas Parties

Last night I went to my husband's company's Christmas Party. It had snowed overnight so the Lower Mainland could go into its usual snow-tizzy -an inch of snow and a little ice on the road and many people get stuck on the road. Last year it took me three hours to get home from work a couple of days.

This party was at Swan E Set golf and country club way out in Pitt Meadows (funny name, eh?). We thought it was smooth sailing until we found the road we were supposed to turn on and P put his foot on the brake and we slid on black ice right past it and another car that had gone into a ditch. The ride home was a little treacherous too but we made it fine.

But - at the party: P has been working for this company for only about 6 weeks so even he didn't know many of the people there. I, of course didn't know anybody. When I looked across the room I saw somebody knitting! I got right up and went over to talk to her. She was knitting a scarf. She was quite a beginner, someone who was looking forward to knitting lace. I showed her the long tail cast on and how lace is made - yarn overs and knit two togethers to keep the number of stitches on the needles constant. I wrote down some web sites for her: Knittinghelp.com, Ravelry. She asked a lot of questions. I think I scared her when I said knitting could become all-consuming. She said she already had one of those hobbies: water-colour painting.

Well, you know, you plant the seeds and see what grows.

As for my own knitting, I haven't been for a few days. I've finished about 5-6 hats and have been thinking about felting those bags. I guess I'm a bit stalled but that's okay, I've gots lots of time before everything has to be finished.

No comments: