Friday, February 22, 2008

Diamond Fantasy Retry

I started the Diamond Fantasy Scarf by Sivia Harding in the wool/silk blend. Here's another photo from Sivia's website:








I started following the written out instructions, which don't include bead placement, so I decided where to put them myself. When I had finished about 37 rows I decided that what I had feared was true: I didn't like the placement of the beads in the diamonds. They were hiding behind three stitches coming together at once. But, no big deal... I didn't mind frogging it. I had used life lines but decided to just start again. The pattern takes a lot of counting and I wanted to get more used to it anyway. I started pulling right back to the start.



I planned the bead placement better and really like where they are now. "Look at how pretty they are," I told myself as I stretched out my work to see how the lace would look. "Hey, what's that?"



One of the diamonds was not knit correctly. Right at the start, too! Argh. I think I did a ssk instead of a k2tog. Part of one of the sides of the first diamond was slanted the wrong way. I had almost decided to leave it when.... I found another mistake. Oh. My. Gawd. What was I doing? Why didn't I use life lines this time - I had myself convinced that I was counting the stitches just fine.



I put it away for the night - I couldn't face it. I feel a bit better now so I'll rip it back and go for it again. This time, lifelines and double checking each row.



I like the pattern and it isn't all that hard, I just haven't had much experience with lace that doesn't have a really obvious repeat. Here I go again.

No comments: